Home Politics Ekiti Poll: 13 Parties Sign Peace Accord As INEC Warns Against Violence

Ekiti Poll: 13 Parties Sign Peace Accord As INEC Warns Against Violence

Ekiti Poll: 13 Parties Sign Peace Accord As INEC Warns Against Violence

With barely weeks to the June 20 governorship election in Ekiti State, political parties, electoral authorities and security agencies have moved to calm tensions and reinforce public confidence in the democratic process.

Thirteen political parties contesting the election on Thursday signed a peace accord, pledging to ensure peaceful conduct before, during and after the poll.

Among the signatories was Ekiti State Governor and candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Biodun Oyebanji, who reaffirmed the commitment of the people of the state to sustaining peace and democratic stability.

Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Joash Amupitan, warned political actors against treating the accord as a mere formality, stressing that its true value lies in implementation.

He noted that Ekiti had built a reputation for political awareness and peaceful elections, urging parties and supporters to preserve that legacy.

According to him, over 1.05 million registered voters will participate in the election across 2,445 polling units in the state’s 16 local government areas.

He also disclosed that 54 media organisations and 470 journalists had already applied for accreditation, alongside 98 election observers.

Prof. Amupitan said INEC had strengthened logistics, technology and security coordination to guarantee a credible process, warning that vote-buying, voter intimidation and electoral violence would not be tolerated.

“Leadership won at the expense of human life and public trust is a hollow victory,” he said, while urging candidates to preach peace to their supporters at the grassroots.

Representing the Chairman of the National Peace Committee and former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar, retired General Martin Agwai described the accord as a collective commitment to free, fair and violence-free elections.

He said no political ambition should outweigh the peace and unity of Ekiti State.

Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, assured residents that security agencies had concluded extensive deployment plans across the state to guarantee the safety of voters, electoral officials and observers.

He stressed that elections must remain “a contest of ideas and service, not conflict and division,” while promising professionalism and neutrality from security personnel.

The peace accord comes as Nigeria intensifies preparations for off-cycle governorship elections ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Follow the Savinews Africa channel on WhatsApp: whatsapp.com

NO COMMENTS